Thursday, December 11, 2008

Argument yesterday

Well, well....very busy day with this kid yesterday. At school he did ok, and in the morning he managed to do what he needed to do without major issues.

in the afternoon however...
Came back from school and went straight to the garage to work on his "project". He is building some kind of weapon with wood and rubber bands. It is taking a lot of cutting wood with a saw and hammering pieces together with nails. He is really good at this and I don't worry much about it.
Yesterday he was sawing a piece off and was not working out. He got frustrated and started getting clumsy with it as he was getting mad. In the meantime I am trying to give him ideas to calm down, breathe, take a break, etc. He is tunnel vision and he wants that piece OFF!! 5 seconds later he is slamming the saw against the wood and finally threw it far away. Immediately I picked it up with the hammers and went in the house. He followed me furious because I took them, yelling for them back. I told him I would as soon as he would calm down because it was dangerous for him to have tools like this and be angry like that.
He started hitting and loosing it, I stopped him with my hand and he screamed and ran to the door, opened and he was gone!!, running away from the house to a neighbor friend he has.

Right at that moment his Behavioral Coach came and was able to be part of all this. 5 minutes later he runs back to the house, get his bike and leaves again. Still furious. I went inside for a while knowing he was at his friend and needing to calm down over there.

I went out to check on him with BC and he came back and asked permission to go around the block in his bike. Permission?? then I knew he was back to normal. He did and then came back inside.

I sat him down and had a talk about what happened. We talked about safety, about the fight and how to self regulate better. he also apologized for fighting.

Finally drama was over and he was doing ok. I still think the medicine helped him get back in control sooner. Otherwise forget it!! he would still be up the mountain not coping!

No comments: