Monday, January 12, 2009

Tantrums

This morning everything started like normal. Same routine, and timings. Carlitos got up like usual and got ready the same way he normally does. He had a good beginning. Went to school on time.

When he came back from school I checked the journal and the teacher mentioned that he did some of the work and the day was pretty good. I was very happy to hear that since I was wondering if our return from the trip was going to affect him in any way.

The afternoon was a different story. He seemed a little frustrated and short. He was bugging his sisters a lot. he did do his homework without much problem but once he got bored it was impossible. Later in the afternoon he adopted an attitude of "I want this and I will do it even if you don't want to".
We had the idea for dad to take him to home depot, since he loves to go there but he decided he wanted to go to an specific friend house. We said no, it was far and a school late afternoon. Not a good idea. He started getting very pushy and loud. Finally dad had to go and Carlitos got this hard look in his face, no flexibility at all. Got angry!. punched the window and got ready to kick the wall, he looked at me and i told him...go ahead, go for it, is not a good idea but do what you want. he stormed out to his sister's room to lock himself in (we took his lock out) and I stopped him on time. he gets destructive with her stuff.

So he ran out of the room and went for the front door saying that this time he was serious and he was leaving!! I told him to go ahead. At this point he is manipulating my reactions to him. He left, walked to the end of the street, turned around and came back home. As soon as he came in I ignored him and kept on doing whatever. He went to the computer and stayed there for a little while.

He was distracted part of the time. When he was done with that around 6:00pm (dinner time) he decided he wanted to go to a neighbors house. I told him no since was so late and it would be rude. Plus we had to have dinner. he got mad again and said he was gong to do it anyways!! and started walking to the door. I said, OK, go but I'm calling his mom right now to not let you play at the house. He was furious and with a battle decided to stay. he went to the back yard to take some air and immediately got distracted with the idea of making a pit fire. He got happy again later.

I don't like the idea for him to think he can do this horrible fits and walking out and then all be OK as soon as he gets happy with no consequences. So at dinner we talked to the 3 kids and told him that we are giving him 2 chances to make the right choices. I'll give 1 warning, then 2 and after that by 3 he would lose TV and computer for that day (his favorites). He understood so I hope helps a little bit.

At this point I'm not sure how much the medicine is helping him. He still gets very angry and out of control, not exactly like before but pretty bad still. We have an IEP next week to go over all the school situation.

We will keep tracking his behavior and see if we can do something different. I weighted him today and has not gained any weight. Ufff...that worries me a little bit.

No comments: