Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Insecurity

This morning he did good as usual. Woke up, got dressed and had breakfast. No news to tell to this point.
But looks like he did not do any work at school today and came home very quiet. Went to his room and played alone in there for a little bit. I went in and asked him about it and he shared that he got that weird feeling again in his belly I I call it anxiety!). But this time he said was a different feeling...really? I said, and asked him how different. He mentioned that this time the feeling was saying "you can't do it" and that he takes too long and people notice. I asked him to tell the teacher to give him more time. At the end I told him that he if just refuses to work with no explanation then is easier for people to think the wrong thing about it (defiance) but if he says something then we could help.

So my theory about the "new" feeling is pure insecurity! he is struggling with his self esteem and what people could say about him. The medicine does not help anxiety but I'm not about to fill him up with pills every time he has a new hick up. We will be looking for ways to encourage him and make him feel more secure about what he can do. Before starting any work he already failed in his mind. That is a very hard battle to fight specially when the child does not get the full picture. Wish me luck!

The Behavioral Coach came today. They played Apples to Apples with his sisters and 1 daycare girl. The game went great until he got mad at his older sister and end up slamming his room door. After that he was a little difficult.

At night we went to church at a friends house and he did OK there. Hooked up to a video game. He loves video games, probably because we don't have any!

No comments: