Monday, December 8, 2008

Defiant...

Little by little and more with time. He's defiance is getting higher and more evident as time goes by. The very first 2 weeks he was really nice and mellow, super obedient and very peaceful. Now, a month after seems like the coping skills have changed. Not as bad as before but not great like at the beginning of giving him the medicine.

We have an appointment with the Dr on the 20th. I will be asking a few questions about the curve. Maybe the cycle with medicine changes after certain time in the system. This is a guess since I have no experience with this kind of medicine before.

At school he is not doing his work again. Went from 0 assignments before meds to 7 after meds to 1 or 2 a month later. This probably means something but I'll have to research that one a little more.

Today he ignored me in the middle of a conversation about homework and just walked away, I called him a few times and purposely decided to ignore me. SO what I did was to do the same with me (without the aggression) to see how he reacted to the same feeling. He hated it!!! tried to get my attention all kinds of ways and felt very out of place for him.

Tonight we had a family project to do. Christmas shoe boxes for an orphanage in Mexico. The kids would look in their things and give toys and goodies for other kids. The girls did the box for another girl. We only planned on doing one. At this point I am still not paying attention to him. He looked for a box all excited and wanted to make one for a boy. At that point I sat him down and we talked about how it feels to be ignored. He got a very clear feeling of "not good" with this experience. And explained also that not because I am "mom" means he can say whatever to me and I just take it. We had a good took, and after that we did the box together and he was in a great mood. He even did his homework on his own!!!

A lot of work ahead of all of us, but so worth it!.

No comments: