Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Much better

Today is a Holiday so we got to stay in slow motion for the day..nice!. By the time I got out of bed Carlitos was already with daddy at the computer playing his favorite game, by the way in a very good mood. I actually woke up with a phone call I was waiting for, the med line from the place his Dr works. I discussed my request to keep him on half dose (2.5mg) of Abilify to begin with. Now I want to clarify that my intention is not to run the show as a Dr or make my wishes be done!!. I had a legitimate reason to ask, and if at the end of the request there was a better reason to jump to a full pill I would have been ok with that. Now, my thinking on keeping him in such a low dose is that he has never been on meds before and really we don't know how his body will take it. His mood swings are not severe and maybe this dose is enough for now, but there is no way to know until I keep him on 2.5mg long enough to know for sure, otherwise we put him on a full pill and we would never know at all.

Going back to the phone call!!, the person asked me a few questions, I explained my dilemma and she said the Dr would be notified and get back with me. And she did, the same lady called back maybe 30 minutes later and said that the Dr was ok staying on half dose and see how he reacts with it and follow up at the next appointment. I appreciate a lot the Dr supporting me on this!, I have heard many cases where the Dr's are not very flexible. So finally all this has been decided until further notice.


Carlitos this morning has been very willing to listen and happy. I'm glad. After a while we decided to go out to the store, I asked him to take a shower, asked again and again but when he decided to do it he went in took his shower without messing around, got out, went to his room and got dressed all by himself!! I was very impressed by that.

At the store he followed us without a problem and did get in a confrontation with his older sister but handled it very well. Again...very impressed. He seems to be sleepy, not num but much slower. I am hoping he gets use to it and regain some energy. After that we went to another store and he sis very good.

Today he had OT (Occupational Therapy) with another boy, he normally has difficulty with following direction and getting frustrated, but not today. He did great. After that took him to Karate and started to look tired. Did good (normally he does in this class) and then to church, at that time was clear he was done with the day, getting grouchy and impatient. Came back home and went to bed right away.

Today is # 5 on the pill and I can see clear difference on his behavior. We'll see how he does at school tomorrow.

No comments: