Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Unexpected

Wow, today was a day full of surprises. But let's start from the beginning. Carlitos had a slow morning, took a lot for him to get out of bed. Eventually he got himself ready for school. At school he had some trouble with work.Once he was home we sat down to do some math homework. Well...as we were doing this I noticed a few things...

First, I actually noticed that he is missing a huge piece of critical thinking in math. The problems were very basic but he could not organize it in his mind to create a multiplication set up. I tried to go around it, kind of hinting which way to go but clearly he could not see it. And the other thing is that at the end of 3 exercises he broke down crying because he could not do the right answers, he was truly sad about it. I did see him trying very hard but not being able to do it or get it. he was pretty much devastated by it. I talked to him about the fact that we go to school to learn things we do not know, otherwise why we would go??. Something to think about.

Later in the afternoon, in the middle of nothing, suddenly all my smoke detector went off, I mean OFFly loud! We all jumped immediately and got out of the house. I could not find any smoke, smell of fire. After 2 hours we came to the conclusion that the batteries were running low and they decided to let us know. I am very proud of the kids following direction and not freaking out (they did that a second later). It was interesting.

he did have a hard time going to bed. He end up falling sleep on the sofa. I think he is still nervous over the fire alarm.

No comments: