Friday, December 26, 2008

14 hours later...

Yes!. He slept for 14 hours!!. I was really curious to see how he was going to do today with that kind of sleep under his belt. And sure enough, he did incredible all morning. We did projects together (like his messy room!) and played with his sisters really well. Listened to direction much better than normal.

In the afternoon got a little bit restless. He started tackling the girls and taking things away. I tried to keep him busy or distract him with something else. At some point he asked his older sister to play Legos with him. She does not like Legos and already spent time with him so she said. He insisted over and over and over again and started getting upset. I kept on telling him that she didn't have to do it if she didn't want to. Just like he does. He got very pushy and at the end we compromised on something both of them would like. It took a lot of work.

Later he was bugging his younger sister. He went a little far and was coming across mean and bully. So after a while trying to help him out I got in to sister room, grabbed him really hard and got him out of the room in one step!!. He got furious and wanted to fight (I was ready for it) I give him flexibility but when he is getting away with stuff then I have to put my foot down and show him clear boundaries. He ran to the family room and sat on the sofa. Quiet. After about 5 minutes got up with a good attitude and apologized to his sister. ufff...that was close.

But....not done yet!. After playing Apples to Apples with the kids I told them that the first to finish putting pajamas on would get candy. They all ran and a couple of minutes later I hear loud screaming from his room. I ran as fast as I could and I found him fighting with his shirt which was stuck with his new (xmas present) watch!!. He was so out of control that would not listen to me and kept on pulling trying to get his arm off. It took me a second to figure out what was happening. Finally he pulled hard enough and he was free. Immediately he goes in a fit of rage against the watch for making him late. And follows with hitting the watch against his furniture. I finally stopped him after he was done and realized that the watch was broken. Yes!! BROKEN. New 1 day old favorite watch. At this point I had a choice to make. Feel bad for him and make him feel better giving him candy and a new watch.... or suffer all the consequences of this action.

Yep..the second one was the winner. It was a perfect example of consequence. He was devastated over the watch, and I let him. He cries and I reminded him why we do not destroy thing in anger. Now he had no watch. Maybe next time you can hit a pillow and be sure nothing gets ruined. He got the message loud and clear. Immediately with puppy face he asked for candy (the one I offered before the race). I told him his older sister got it because she was first and that was fair. He got a little upset and continue saying...but I'll save one and when we have another race if you are first I'll give it to you. he said OK and that was the end of that.

Pajamas finally on and time for bed after a very busy day. I hope tomorrow he does better. But with all and all it was a very successful day with a lot of good opportunities.

No comments: